Friday, June 27, 2008

Hometown


This is a drawing of my favorite tree from my childhood. It was the greatest climbing tree ever. It even had a place where a branch separated and grew back together to form a throne to sit on. It was an avocado tree, so it also provided a tasty snack and a plenitude of amo to through at neighborhood bullies.

I grew up in Leucadia, California, which was entirely covered in avocado orchards and small green houses before anyone started building real houses. It was a lazy beach town with a population comprised of surfers, hippies, and immigrants. As the years wore on, the trees were all but sacrificed for the cement and wood of housing and commercial pursuits. The beach culture, that I loved, was transformed into a consumer culture. Yet through it all this tree still stands on Sanford St. in the front yard of the house I grew up in.

2 comments:

~Shannon Mistry said...

Very nice work! I really like that you used the coloured background and kept the linework and shading more neutral!

Josh (musarter) said...

Thank you for the comment.

Ces- I used colored pencils/conte/pastels on green paper; so the white is conte crayon.