Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Detach for IF


I created this as a late entry for this week's Illustration Friday. I interpreted the topic in two ways; The obvious, the parents and the little boy 'detach' on the first day of school. For the little one and the parents, it's usually a moment filled with uncertainty and worry.
The second meaning is more personal, I 'detached' myself from my usual style and medium to experiment with something new.  I recently checked out about 20 or more children's books and have been visiting the children's section at BN quite regularly trying to find books that mimic my current style, and to my surprise, I have not been able to find any that resembles mine. (if you know of one, let me know...I'm curious).
Anyway, that made me think, that perhaps my illustrations are not kid friendly enough, and I should vary my style and try more simple shapes and more flat colors.
I used gouache and watercolors for this one. Any thoughts or comments are welcomed!

Thanks!

2 comments:

Candace Trew Camling said...

I think your usual style is pretty kid friendly! You should submit to highlights magazine, you might surprise yourself!

Kathleen Rietz said...

I really like this Edrian. I also know that art directors want to see something different, not a copy of what's already out there.

I like your composition and colors and even the characters. Nice storytelling.