Sunday, March 21, 2010

Hi Kathy. I saw your comment on the lasso. Being a newbie, that's pretty much all I know. Why is it a bad choice for extraction. I start with original artwork then move to the computer. Are your illustrations originating in Flash or illustrator?

Hi!
I said that it might not be the "best" choice because it is hard to control and difficult to master. Most people use the "lasso" tool for "quik ' n ' dirty" fixes and I think that is the lasso tool's general identity in Photoshop. I've just been using it so long now and so consistently that I have gotten to know the feel of the tool very well and I use it for even the most delicate pixel extractions with success. It's funny, in PS, there are 20 ways to do the same thing. That is one of the great things about PS-because one way to do something is not "one size fits all" but you can tailor it to the way you like to work, the tools you are most adept at/comfortable with, etc. That said, I acan also be guilty at times of not forcing myself to use the latest and greatest new features in Photoshop when new versions come out. I will say that being a NAPP member really helps me there, to stay on top of the latest trends and ways to do things in PS. (National Association of Photoshop Professionals URL is : www.photoshopuser.com)

Thanks for the question!!

Ask me anything

No comments: